- POSTED BY admin
- August 2, 2011
Bhangra Fun at Museum of Vancouver
Raincouver/Vancouver – no need to give up on summer fun yet! Museum of Vancouver has interactive exhibits and events that will have you, friends and family forgetting about the sun in no time.
1. Dance. Our feature exhibition, Bhangra.me: Vancouver’s Bhangra Story, is the perfect escape from cold, damp weather. Dance, play instruments and learn about vibrant South Asian culture in this interactive, multimedia-based exhibit. Perfect for adults and children alike.
2. Laugh. Vancouver has several exciting programs for adults this summer including KENtalks, a live comedy lecture series featuring Vancouver’s funniest humans sharing hilarious ideas about ordinary life. Presented with CBC Radio and Pike. August 19 at 7:30 p.m.
3. Nosh. Experience Vancouver’s hidden stories. Hippies, neon signs, drive-ins and race riots all star in our History Galleries. After reliving the city’s past, head to one of Kitsilano’s many celebrated eateries along Cornwall or West 4th. Family and adult friendly.
4. Contemplate. Grab a coffee and head to MOV’s new studio exhibit, Chosen Family Portraits. NOW Open, Chosen Family Portraits is a photography and video exhibit showcasing the unique and dynamic family relationships of Vancouver’s lesbian, gay, transgender and queer communities, and their Chosen Family. In partnership with Queer Film Festival and Options for Sexual Health.
5. Play. And when the sun does arrive, head to Kits Beach for sandcastles and volleyball before coming inside to cool off in our air conditioned galleries. For kids, there’s our dress-up box of fun clothes from Vancouver’s past, and a Bhangra Sound Lab in the Bhangra.me exhibit where they can learn how to play traditional Indian instruments like the dhol drum and harmonium.
Enjoy summer at Museum of Vancouver, located at 1100 Chestnut Street in Kitsilano, Vancouver. Open 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. everyday, and 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. on Thursdays.